Resources & Information

Area schools

Century College
White Bear Lake Area Public Schools #624
White Bear Montessori – Gem Lake, Minnesota

Ramsey County

Buckthorn Removal
Ramsey County Yard Waste
Ramsey County Online

Gem Lake Businesses

Government Resources


Metropolitan Council
Ramsey County Emergency Communications
Shoreland restoration
White Bear Lake area Chamber of Commerce


Gopher State One Call
White Bear Lake Area Food Shelf

Important Information

Snowplowing/Snow removal rules:

Winter Parking Restrictions. The parking of any motor vehicle upon any road or street in Gem Lake is prohibited between the hours of 2:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. from November 1st through April 1st of each year.

Minnesota Statute 160.2715 Section (a) subdivision (1) advises that pushing/blowing snow from driveways and sidewalks onto public roads may be punishable as a misdemeanor.  Snow deposited or left on roadways creates a real hazard to passing motorists which can cause serious accidents.  Because the practice is illegal to begin with, the person depositing the snow, as the prime cause of the accident, may also find him/herself faced with civil liability lawsuits.  The City of Gem Lake urges you, as good neighbors and motorists, not to add to the hazards of winter time driving.

If you would like Snow Emergency, text or email alerts please sign up for the Townships Snow & Ice Control Updates at

This information will also be posted on the City’s Facebook page. Please like and follow us at

Dog licensing/tags:

All dogs over the age of six (6) months must be licensed within the City of Gem Lake. Proof that rabies and other vaccinations have been done must be supplied when the license is applied for.

Dog License Application

Animal Control

The City of Gem Lakes Domestic Animal Control Authority is through the White Bear Lake Police Department. For all non-emergent concerns, call White Bear Lakes Non-Emergency Line at 651-429-8511. For all emergent concerns, call 911.

Right of Way Work:

Going to work in the City of Gem Lake’s  right-of-way?  A permit is required.  Right of Way Permit

Selling your house?

If you have a septic system, you need to have a septic inspection before you sell/transfer property.  You may choose to have any licensed inspector perform the work.  Results need to be sent to the City prior to the property transfer.

Moving Into Our City, Some Questions You Might Have:

The City of Gem Lake requires each resident to have garbage service.  You may chose whomever you like provided they are a licensed hauler, to haul your garbage.

The City of Gem Lake recycling service is every other Wednesday.  Trucks arrive early, sometimes before 7:00 a.m., best to put the recycling bin out the night before.

Some residents have city sewer, some have a septic system.  If you have city sewer, currently city sewer is billed quarterly, $50.00 a quarter for residents.  The Villas of Gem Lake fees are explained in the current fee schedule.

No city water is available in the residential area of Gem Lake with the exception of the Villas of Gem Lake (see the fee schedule for water and sewer rates).  City water for the Villas of Gem Lake is from the City of Vadnais Heights.  In addition, city water (from White Bear Lake) is available in the business district.

All city streets speed limit is 25 MPH with the exception of Goose Lake Road and Otter Lake Road which are Ramsey County roads.

The City of Gem Lake contracts with:

  • City of White Bear Lake Police Department for police services
  • City of White Bear Lake Fire Department for fire
  • White Bear Township Public Works for Public Works emergencies that threaten the health and safety of our residents or our infrastructure such as
    • Water main breaks
    • Sewer line back ups
    • Other emergencies

For emergencies, call 911.  For non-emergencies, call 651 429-8511. For after hours and weekends Public Works emergencies 651-755-9828.

Rental Property:

No person shall operate a rental dwelling without first obtaining a license to do so from the City. Rental licenses are good for one calendar year. If tenants change a new license will need to be completed.

Rental Property License Application

Comments are closed.

  • To reach the City of Gem Lake – please call 651 747-2790 or 651 747-2792

    City offices/days open: 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.  Monday-Thursday, closed Fridays.